Get excited about writing
There are few more inspiring places than Oxford to grow your skills as a writer. Follow in the footsteps of world-renowned Oxford authors such as Lewis Carroll, J.R.R. Tolkien and Philip Pullman on our Oxford writing summer programmes.
Learn from world-class writing tutors
Surrounded by the dreaming spires of Oxford University, you’ll spend your time with us learning all about the ins and outs of different genres of writing, alongside other ambitious students from all over the world.
From the fundamentals of storytelling to the techniques needed to construct a realistic fictional world, our writing summer school will introduce you to the skills you need to be a successful writer. You’ll also meet a real-life writer so you can ask all your questions about what it’s really like making a living from writing, and you’ll discover the many career paths you could take as a professional writer.
Get the Oxford experience
By the end of your course, you’ll have a much clearer idea of whether a writing-related subject is the right direction for you – and you’ll achieve all of this while enjoying everything that the magical city of Oxford has to offer.
Browse our Oxford Summer Writing Courses
Our summer writing courses are two weeks long and are held on the world famous Oxford University campus. Whether you’ve studied aspects of the subject before, or are totally new to it, our Writing Summer School offers a perfect course to suit your needs.
In Oxford | 15-18 Year Olds
Experience Creative Writing
Where better than Oxford to hone your skills in creative writing? Get inspired by the city that was home to Tolkien, Lewis Carroll and Philip Pullman. In this course, you’ll explore different genres and plot-types, learn about the importance of dialogue, and practise different techniques to hone your skills and ensure writing becomes a part of your daily routine.
Browse our Online Writing Courses
Drawing on the Oxford Scholastica Academy’s years of experience of running world-class summer schools, our online writing courses combine Oxford’s spirit of excellence with the very best in future-focused learning.
Online Courses | 15-18 Year Olds
Do you enjoy reading, writing and using language to express yourself? This course will show you how to write for different audiences and in a variety of genres while analysing works that have stood the test of time. You’ll also learn how to create engaging content for online platforms and develop your own unique voice.
On this course, you’ll:
- Learn about different genres and styles of writing, including fiction, nonfiction, poetry, and online content creation
- Dive into your favourite texts to find out what it is that makes them so compelling
- Practise building fictional worlds, characters and dialogues
- Develop your own personal writing projects, with feedback from your tutor and peers
Students from up to 85 different nationalities chose to experience our writing courses last year:
9 out of 10 said our writing summer courses were one of the most memorable summers of their life
9 out of 10 said that our high school summer writing courses gave them greater certainty about their future direction
94% of students said they had a greater certainty over their future academic and career choices
Why choose one of our Oxford Writing summer school programmes?
The Best Courses
We’ve designed our high school summer writing courses to stimulate, stretch and challenge you – regardless of your existing subject knowledge.
The Best People
Your writing course will be taught by tutors that are current or former students and faculty of world-class institutions such as Oxford and Cambridge Universities.
Your Future Success
Our writing summer school is designed to help you discover, experience and prepare for a successful future personally, academically and professionally.
Get the Oxford Experience
You’ll be taught writing on the prestigious Oxford University campus, where many world-famous figures in the field began their own career journeys.
Writing Summer School Testimonials
Oxford Scholastica gave me the opportunity to understand university life and gave me a taste of academic independence. It is because of my time at OSA that I now want to study writing!
The tutor was brilliant and my classmates were amazing. I was able to form a wonderful connection with all of them in my Creative Writing classes. Trust me, you will not regret it!
My Oxford Scholastica course was one of the best things I’ve ever done. My tutor was super inspiring and encouraged me to learn so much! I loved it – thank you Oxford Scholastica.
What You’ll Get From Our Writing Courses
Study writing with us and you’ll leave feeling inspired and ready to take the next step in your journey as a writer. During your time in Oxford, we will:
- Tell you the secrets of creative writing for different genres, such as plot and character development, and the importance of dialogue
- Introduce you to a taster of university life, with top quality teaching from our expert staff
- Introduce you to a real-life writer, who’ll answer your questions on what it’s really like to earn a living from writing
- Give you the chance to begin forming your own professional network and join our community of Oxford Scholastica Academy alumni
- Give you all the insights you need for your stage of education on our fully accredited writing course
- Help you to decide on the best university course for you, and equip you with excellent subject knowledge and experiences which will be invaluable for university applications
- Give you practical challenges to exercise your new skills, such as creating and editing a magazine or dreaming up a new book series
- Experience Oxford life, and walk in the footsteps of famous writers including J. R. R. Tolkien and Oscar Wilde
- Enable you, once you’ve completed your writing course, to graduate in a formal Graduation Ceremony held at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School
Get an Authentic University Experience
You’ll learn in small, dynamic classes just as you would at Oxford or Cambridge University. You’ll be taught by our first-class teaching faculty thereby ensuring you have the very best writing summer school experience.
You’ll have the opportunity to study and socialise on the Oxford University campus, and take part in legendary activities such as punting. You’ll have the opportunity to meet and make friends with ambitious students like you from all over the world.
You’ll leave equipped with key skills for the future – like public speaking, how to prepare for your future career and how to bounce back from failure – thanks to our Masterclass programme.