Our courses combine Oxford-style teaching with practical challenges and debates. Small class sizes and expert tutors help you dive deep into your chosen subject area.
By taking our Experience Creative Writing course, you’ll get to:
- Master key concepts such as how to write effective dialogue, create fictional worlds and develop a book series – all under the guidance of one of our expert tutors from leading universities such as Oxford and Cambridge.
- Have the chance to quiz a successful young writer about how they built a flourishing career from writing, gaining key insights into the future study and career options should you wish to pursue writing beyond school.
- Put your creativity and knowledge to the test in our Book Series Challenge, in which you will come up with ideas for an outline of a book series, including characters and storylines.
- Develop skills in high demand by universities and employers, such as public speaking, critical thinking and teamwork, via our Masterclasses.
- Build your global professional network by meeting students from all over the world and joining our alumni community.
- Attend our Graduation Ceremony at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School, and get a Graduation Certificate and personalised Letter of Recommendation from your tutor.
What better way to learn about a career than to talk to someone who’s living it? Our Heroes programme invites you to meet a successful young writer and:
- Learn more about what a day in their life looks like
- Understand more about the cutting edge aspects of the sector that they work in, and hear their top career tips
- Ask them your burning questions about their university and career path
Challenges are one of the most exciting parts of our programme! Halfway through our Experience Creative Writing course, you’ll be given the chance to put your writing skills to the test during our Book Series Challenge. It’s certainly not the only practical activity you’ll do on your course – the course is full of opportunities to apply your skills – but for many of our students, it’s their highlight! You’ll get to:
- Puzzle through the challenges that writers face when writing a book series.
- Work collaboratively with your peers in a “writer’s room” to come up with elements for an ongoing book series.
- Feel the buzz of working to a strict editorial deadline as you enhance your ability to cooperate in a team with different responsibilities. Can you create what could be the next Harry Potter, Maze Runner, or His Dark Materials?
On our Experience Creative Writing Academy programme, you’ll cover a range of challenging topics across nine classroom sessions.
Class 1: The Nature of Creative Writing
Explore the key characteristics of creative writing and how to escape the dreaded “writer’s block”.
Class 2: Storytelling
What are the ingredients that make a story work? Test out these techniques with a piece of your own writing.
Class 3: Explore Stories and Novels
Find out more about Christopher Booker’s thesis of seven basic plots in literature.
Class 4: Character Development
How do you develop a character your readers will believe in? We’ll examine different texts and you can have a go with a character of your own creation.
Class 5: Discover Genres
Explore different types of genre and what gives each one a distinctive feature.
Class 6: World Building
How do you build a fictional world? Explore the techniques used by writers to “build a world” in their work, and in their readers’ minds.
Class 7: Constructing Dialogue
Review classic examples of dialogue from famous novels, plays and films to see common themes.
Class 8: That’s a Wrap
Learn how to ensure writing becomes part of your fabric and daily routine, and discover techniques to help you start and finish a story.
Your final class is based on your tutor’s personal expertise in the field, focusing on cutting-edge research that they’re passionate about.
The Law course was challenging but extremely rewarding, as it assured me that it was the path I wanted to choose at university. The Oxford Scholastica community also leaves you with an excellent support network even after the programme. Overall, it was an amazing experience that I would recommend to anyone.
My two weeks at Oxford Scholastica were two of the best weeks of my life. It was an amazing experience and I made some great friends that I know I will stay in touch with for a very long time.
My son, Alexander, truly enjoyed his experience. He was academically and intellectually challenged while also making friends from around the world. We highly recommend this programme.
Two of my children have now attended this course. It gave them the confidence to surge ahead in life with a purpose and confidence that is so essential. One of the best decisions I made for my children and their futures is to have sent them to the Oxford Scholastica Academy.
For the second year in a row my daughter had an unforgettable summer break in the magical setting of Oxford! A fascinating course with an untold amount of fun things to do. Oxford Scholastica has undoubtedly been one of the best experiences my daughter has ever had.
I attended the Oxford Scholastica Academy and I can genuinely say it was the best summer of my life. Not only were we exposed to different subjects and courses but also so many different cultures and people. I hope I can go back!
I absolutely loved my Oxford Scholastica experience! I definitely recommend it to anyone who either knows what they’re doing and want better preparation, or even students who have no idea who they want to be when they grow up! I was both at some point and Oxford Scholastica filled that gap for me. Thank you so much for this amazing opportunity!
Those two weeks at Oxford Scholastica were a really wonderful experience. I got the chance to explore what Law is really all about through this programme. Classes were very interesting and I loved how the tutor made the classes very interactive!
Reserve Your Spot
Ready for a life-changing educational experience? Apply in minutes and reserve a spot for Oxford's #1 rated summer school and online programmes.