How to Apply for an Oxford Summer Course
When the academic year comes to an end, lots of high school students begin preparing for the start of summer school. It’s an exciting time, and there can be a real sense of anticipation as bags are packed and flights are booked. What will I learn? Who will my coursemates be? What will my bedroom look like?
A residential summer course is the perfect opportunity to challenge yourself! Developing your skills and meeting new people in a supportive environment will not only set you up for success in the new academic year – it will also boost your university applications and future career opportunities.
So, we’ve put together a simple guide to applying for an Oxford summer course to help explain the process and answer any questions!
1. What Is an Oxford Summer Course?
An Oxford summer course is a unique chance to experience life as a student in a city renowned for its learning. Surrounded by a rich academic history, our residential students stay in buildings owned by one of the University of Oxford college buildings, and get to experience the culture of the city through punting, day trips and dancing!
Please note that the Oxford Scholastica Academy is separate from the University of Oxford, and it’s important to understand that we have no formal connection with the university.
A summer course at the Oxford Scholastica Academy combines university-style teaching with Masterclasses, academic challenge days and cultural adventures, to help you gain the knowledge and inspiration to take charge of your future.
From Medicine or Creative Writing, to Law and Engineering, our summer schools – led by subject experts! – combine real-world theory with hands-on practical experience so our students graduate with the knowledge, skills and network to thrive, whatever their passion.
2. Which Summer Course Is Right for Me?
With so many options available, deciding on just one summer programme can seem difficult so it’s a good idea to research the different types of summer courses before making a final decision.
There are three main categories to choose from:
- Language Programmes to develop fluency in a chosen language
- Academic Programmes to prepare for university applications
- Cultural Programmes to engage with another culture’s history and traditions
With this in mind, it’s important to reflect on the type of course that’s right for you. Do you want a purely academic programme, or one that also offers a range of extracurricular activities? Does the course align with your academic interests, personal goals and career aspirations?
It’s also worth considering location, staffing and course structure to gain an overall understanding of the type of experience on offer.
3. How Do I Apply for an Oxford Summer Course?
Once you’ve decided on the summer course that’s right for you, it’s time to apply! Most summer courses will follow a similar application process:
1. Fill out the booking form with some basic personal information and contact details. This will usually include things like your name, age and email address, and your parent’s name, phone number and email.
2. Submit a short personal statement outlining your interest in your chosen subject and why you’d like to study with the school or course provider. For this step, reflect on your academic and extracurricular achievements that showcase your personal strengths and why you’re the perfect fit for an Oxford summer course!
3. For a summer course at the Oxford Scholastica Academy, we recommend booking a call with Steph (our Head of Sales and Student Experience) to chat through your motivations and to ask us any questions you have.
4. What Happens After I Apply?
Before submitting your application, be sure to double – and triple! – check for any errors, typos or missing sections with your application. Then, when you’re happy with it, you can send it off with confidence!
Once your application has been reviewed, you should receive a confirmation email detailing the next steps – it’s time to get excited and start preparing for your Oxford summer course!
Don’t forget to:
- Plan your journey to the city of Oxford
- Start sorting your packing list
- Check out your pre-course reading list
- Ask the team if you have any further questions
An Oxford summer course is a transformational experience, and our students leave with newfound skills, long-lasting memories, and friendships that remain long after graduation day!
To explore your subject beyond the school curriculum and experience a taste of university life, check out the opportunities at the Oxford Scholastica Academy.
By Amy Alsop
Our Content Editor, Amy, writes and edits content across our blog and resources. She graduated from Lincoln college, University of Oxford, where she read English.
Looking to take part in an international Oxford summer course?
The Oxford Scholastica Academy offers a variety of subject-specific residential summer courses, with our Debate and Public Speaking summer school being a consistently popular choice. Communication skills – like debating and public speaking – are highly valued in...
Personal growth goes hand-in-hand with self-reflection. By better understanding ourselves, we can identify and develop the personal skills and attributes that will bring us closer to our goals. The right self-reflection tools can help us achieve our academic...
Psychology summer schools are summer programmes designed to give students the opportunity to explore the subject outside of the school curriculum. Often designed to mimic the experience of studying a Psychology degree, they can be a great way to develop your skills...