Location: University of Oxford campus
Class size: Maximum 15 students
£5,995 £5,495 if booked by 31st Dec
Length: 2 weeks
Dates: 2nd-15th July, 16th-29th July, 30th July-12th August 2023
Receive: Graduation Certificate & Letter of Recommendation
Our courses combine Oxford-style teaching with practical challenges and debates. Small class sizes and expert tutors help you dive deep into your chosen subject area.
By joining our Experience Medicine Academy, you’ll get to:
- Master clinical skills such as how to administer injections, examine the retina, dissect a kidney and read X-rays.
- Explore the theory behind medicine and experience medical specialties from cardiology to respiratory medicine, from psychiatry to neurology and more.
- Meet real-life patients in our Mock Clinic Challenge, the highlight of the course for many of our students, and you’ll learn how to interview and take a patient’s history.
- Develop skills in high demand by universities and employers, such as public speaking, critical thinking and teamwork, via our Masterclasses.
- Build your global professional network by meeting students from all over the world and joining our alumni community.
- Attend our Graduation Ceremony at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School, and get a Graduation Certificate and personalised Letter of Recommendation from your tutor.
What better way to learn about a career than to talk to someone who’s living it? Our Heroes programme enables you to meet a successful young professional who has gone on to build a career in medicine. You’ll be able to:
- Learn more about what a day in their life looks like
- Understand more about the cutting edge aspects of the medical field that they work in, and hear their top career tips
- Ask them your burning questions about their medical school experience and career path
Challenges are one of the most exciting parts of our programme! Halfway through our Experience Medicine Academy, you’ll be given the chance to put your skills to the test during our Mock Clinic Challenge at the John Radcliffe Hospital. It’s certainly not the only practical activity you’ll do on your course – the course is full of opportunities to apply your skills – but for many of our students, it’s their highlight! You’ll get to:
- Meet real patients with a variety of chronic medical conditions, and speak to them about their symptoms.
- Apply what you’ve learned in your classes and, using your resourcefulness and knowledge, present a patient to the Doctor.
- Discuss with the Doctor how the patient’s care can be improved – an invaluable opportunity to help you understand the responsibility that doctors have towards their patients.
During our Experience Medicine Academy, you’ll cover a range of challenging topics across nine classroom sessions.
Class 1: Discover Cardiology
Learn what keeps your heart beating, how to measure blood pressure and how to use a stethoscope.
Class 2: Explore Respiratory Medicine
Learn about the complexities of how and why we breathe, and discover how to examine the respiratory system.
Class 3: Learn about Abdominal Medicine and Surgery
Find out how the body processes food, and how doctors can fix it – plus explore the kidney’s role in keeping us alive, and study its anatomy by dissecting real organs.
Class 4: Learn Clinical Skills
Discover how to administer injections, examine the retina, work out doses of medicine, test the biochemistry of urine – and more.
Class 5: The Brain, Mind and Nervous System
Learn how we think, feel and move – and what can go wrong. Discover how to examine the entire nervous system.
Class 6: Explore Emergency Medicine and Trauma
Learn how to manage medical emergencies, including doing cardio-pulmonary resuscitations and reading X-rays.
Class 7: Debate Medical Ethics
Grapple with contemporary ethical dilemmas and debate the moral reasoning behind real patient scenarios.
Class 8: The Future of Medicine
What is the future of medicine? Research a developing topic in medical science and have the chance to present your findings to the rest of your class.
Your final class is based on your tutor’s personal expertise in the field, focusing on cutting-edge research that they’re passionate about.
Please note this course outline may be subject to change.
Reserve Your Spot
Ready for a life-changing educational experience? Apply in minutes and reserve a spot for Oxford’s #1 rated summer school and online programmes.