Location: University of Oxford campus
Class size: Maximum 15 students
£6,995 £6,495 if booked by 31st Dec
Length: 2 weeks
Dates: 30th June-13th July, 14th-27th July, 28th July-10th August 2024
Receive: Graduation Certificate & Letter of Recommendation
Our courses combine university-style teaching with practical challenges and engaging debates. Small classes and expert tutors help you dive deep into the world of business.
By joining our Discover Medicine Academy, you will:
- Learn key clinical skills, conduct medical research and gain an understanding of physiology, all under the guidance of your expert tutor from a leading university.
- Develop important medical skills such as how to dissect a heart, how to use a stethoscope and how to engage with patients.
- Polish skills that will set you up for future success at school and beyond, including public speaking, critical thinking, and teamwork in our Masterclasses.
- Make friends from around the world and join our global alumni community, building your network with other engaged, curious young people.
- Attend our Graduation Ceremony at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School, and get a Graduation Certificate and personal Letter of Recommendation from your tutor.
What better way to learn about a career than to talk to someone who’s living it? Our Heroes programme invites you to meet an inspiring professional building their career in Medicine. You’ll be able to:
- Learn more about what a day in their life looks like
- Understand more about the cutting edge aspect of the medical field that they work in, and hear their top career tips
- Ask them your burning questions about their medical school experience and career path
Challenges are one of the most exciting parts of our programme! Halfway through our Discover Medicine Academy, you’ll be given the chance to put your skills to the test during our Mock Clinic Challenge at the John Radcliffe Hospital.
It’s certainly not the only practical activity you’ll do on your course – the programme is full of opportunities to apply your skills – but for many of our students, it’s definitely a highlight!
You’ll get to:
- Meet real patients with a variety of chronic medical conditions, and speak to them about their symptoms.
- Apply what you’ve learned in your classes and present your patient to the doctor.
- Discuss how the patient’s care can be improved with the doctor – an invaluable opportunity to gain real experience in a clinical setting.
Hear from parents
Entrusting your child to a summer school can be a big decision.
Hear from parents about why they chose Oxford Scholastica, and how they found the experience.
If you'd like to find out more about how we'll look after your child please click below to arrange a call.
During our Discover Medicine Academy, you’ll cover a range of challenging topics across nine classroom sessions.
Class 1: Learn Clinical Skills
Assess X-rays, learn dissection techniques, and measure vital clinical signs including temperature, pulse, blood pressure and oxygen levels.
Class 2: Discover Surgery
Discover basic surgical techniques used to treat a variety of conditions and the challenges of completing an operation.
Class 3: Explore Medicine
Begin to learn the principles of “pharmacology”, and explore how medicines are designed and used to treat disease.
Class 4: Focus on the Heart
Focus on the anatomy and physiology of the heart and cardiovascular system, learning how to use a stethoscope to listen to heart beats.
Class 5: The Heart & Disease
Find out about how the heart’s system can fail in disease, and current medical and surgical techniques treat heart disease.
Class 6: Medical Research
Run a mini clinical trial to learn how medical research is designed and developed.
Class 7: The Future of Medicine
Discover recent and future advances in medicine which will shape your future careers and international healthcare.
Class 8: Debate Medical Ethics
Discuss real clinical cases as an introduction to medical ethics.
Your final class is based on your tutor’s personal expertise in the field, focusing on cutting-edge research that they’re passionate about.
Please note this course outline may be subject to change.