Location: University of Oxford campus
Class size: Maximum 15 students
Length: 2 weeks
Dates: 3rd-16th July, 17-30th July, 31st July-13th August 2022
Receive: Graduation Certificate & Letter of Recommendation
Our courses combine Oxford-style teaching with practical challenges and debates. Small class sizes and expert tutors help you dive deep into your chosen subject area.
By joining our Discover Medicine Academy, you’ll get to:
- Learn key introductory medical topics including clinical skills, medical research and physiology, under the guidance of your expert tutor from a leading university.
- Develop important medical skills such as how to dissect a heart, how to use a stethoscope and how to engage with patients.
- Meet an inspiring young doctor to hear about their journey into Medicine and learn the lessons of their success, and put your knowledge, skills and ability to work in a team to the test in our Mock Clinic Challenge.
- Develop skills in high demand by universities and employers, such as public speaking, critical thinking and teamwork, via our Masterclasses.
- Build your global professional network by meeting students from all over the world and joining our alumni community.
- Attend our Graduation Ceremony at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School, and get a Graduation Certificate and personalised Letter of Recommendation from your tutor.
What better way to learn about a career than to talk to someone who’s living it? Our Heroes programme enables you to meet a successful young professional who has gone on to build a career in medicine. You’ll be able to:
- Learn more about what a day in their life looks like
- Understand more about the cutting edge aspect of the medical field that they work in, and hear their top career tips
- Ask them your burning questions about their medical school experience and career path
Challenges are one of the most exciting parts of our programme! Halfway through our Discover Medicine Academy, you’ll be given the chance to put your skills to the test during our Mock Clinic Challenge at the John Radcliffe Hospital. It’s certainly not the only practical activity you’ll do on your course – the course is full of opportunities to apply your skills – but for many of our students, it’s their highlight!
You’ll get to:
- Meet real patients with a variety of chronic medical conditions, and speak to them about their symptoms.
- Apply what you’ve learned in your classes and, using your resourcefulness and knowledge, present a patient to the doctor.
- Discuss with the Doctor how the patient’s care can be improved – an invaluable opportunity to help you understand the responsibility that doctors have towards their patients.
During our Discover Medicine Academy, you’ll cover a range of challenging topics across nine classroom sessions.
Class 1: Learn Clinical Skills
Practise looking at X-rays, basic dissection techniques, and measuring vital clinical signs including temperature, pulse, blood pressure and oxygen levels.
Class 2: Discover Surgery
Discover basic surgical techniques used to treat a variety of conditions and the challenges of completing an operation.
Class 3: Explore Medicine
Begin to learn the principles of “pharmacology” and how medicines are designed and used to treat disease.
Class 4: Focus on the Heart
Focus on the anatomy and physiology of the heart and cardiovascular system, learning how to use a stethoscope to listen to each other’s heart beats.
Class 5: The Heart & Disease
Find out about how the heart’s system can fail in disease, and current medical and surgical techniques to treat heart disease.
Class 6: Medical Research
Run a mini clinical trial to learn about how medical research is designed and developed.
Class 7: The Future of Medicine
Discover recent and future advances in medicine which will shape your future careers and international healthcare.
Class 8: Debate Medical Ethics
Discuss real clinical cases as an introduction to medical ethics.
Your final class is based on your tutor’s personal expertise in the field, focusing on cutting-edge research that they’re passionate about.
Please note this course outline may be subject to change.
Reserve Your Spot
Ready for a life-changing educational experience? Apply in minutes and reserve a spot for Oxford’s #1 rated summer school and online programmes.