Experience Law Academy
(for ages 15 to 18)
Oxford Scholastica’s law summer programme will give you an authentic taste of what studying law at university is like, and equip you with subject knowledge that puts you ahead of the curve.
Location: University of Oxford campus
Class size: Maximum 15 students
Length: 2 weeks
Dates: 2nd-15th July, 16th-29th July, 30th July-12th August 2023
Receive: Graduation Certificate & Letter of Recommendation
Our courses combine Oxford-style teaching with practical challenges and debates. Small class sizes and expert tutors help you dive deep into your chosen subject area.
By taking our summer school law course, you’ll get to:
- Explore criminal law, human rights law, corporate law and international law, and learn more about these different fields through real-life cases and examples.
- Gain invaluable insights into what it takes to become a legal professional, and talk to a young lawyer about what it’s really like working in the field.
- Put your knowledge, skills and teamwork abilities to work in our exciting mock trial challenge in a real court.
- Develop skills in high demand by universities and employers, such as public speaking, critical thinking and teamwork, via our Masterclasses.
- Build your global professional network by meeting students from all over the world and joining our alumni community.
- Attend our Graduation Ceremony at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School, and get a Graduation Certificate and personalised Letter of Recommendation from your tutor.
What better way to learn about a career than to talk to someone who’s living it? Our Heroes programme invites you to meet a successful young lawyer and:
- Learn more about what a day in their life looks like, including the types of cases they work on
- Take part in a practical activity related to their day-to-day work, like determining the most important pieces of evidence in a legal case
- Ask them questions about their law school experience and career path
Challenges are one of the most exciting parts of our program! Halfway through our summer law course, you’ll go to Oxford’s Crown Court and take part in a mock trial, building a case and attempting to persuade a jury of peers. You’ll get to:
- Demonstrate your reasoning skills and understanding of the legal system as you research and take on the role of a particular side in a legal case.
- Feel the energy of getting your case together before the start of the court session.
- Learn how to work with all members of a case, including lawyers, eye-witnesses and magistrates.
Hear from parents
Entrusting your child to a summer school can be a big decision.
Hear from parents about why they chose Oxford Scholastica, and how they found the experience.
If you'd like to find out more about how we'll look after your child please click below to arrange a call.
In our summer Experience Law programme, you’ll cover a range of challenging topics across nine classroom sessions.
Class 1: Discover the World of Law
Learn about the purpose of law, including the differences between public and private law.
Class 2: Explore the Legal System
Get to grips with the difference between (and the hierarchy of) criminal and civil courts.
Class 3: Understand Criminal Law
How do you defend someone you know is guilty? Reflect on some of the ethics involved in working as a criminal defendant and explore what it means to be “guilty beyond reasonable doubt.”
Class 4: Debate Human Rights
Explore whether human rights are universal and learn the role of international organisations, such as Amnesty International.
Class 5: Big Business and the Law
What happens if a contract is breached? Explore different areas of corporate law, and learn how businesses rely on contracts, property rights and intellectual property law.
Class 6: Analyse International Law
Find out how international bodies like the International Criminal Court resolve famous cases, and explore the role of the UN.
Class 7: Learn the History of Law
Go back in time and see how law has advanced from the ancient period (Egyptians and Babylonians) to eastern traditions (China, India, Islamic world) and the West.
Class 8: The Law in Practice and as a Career
Explore the paths that lawyers take (barristers and solicitors), as well as the role of judges, courts and parliaments.
Your final class is based on your tutor’s personal expertise in the field, focusing on cutting-edge research that they’re passionate about.
Please note this course outline may be subject to change.
Want to know more about attending our Experience Law Academy? Learn about what your schedule will look like, where you’ll stay, our entry requirements and some of the fun activities that will round out your academic experience.
Reserve Your Spot
Ready for a life-changing educational experience? Apply in minutes and reserve a spot for Oxford's #1 rated summer school and online programmes.