Location: University of Oxford campus
Class size: Maximum 15 students
Length: 2 weeks
Dates: 30th June-13th July, 14th-27th July, 28th July-10th August 2024
Receive: Graduation Certificate & Letter of Recommendation
Our courses combine tutorial-style teaching with practical challenges and debates. Small class sizes and expert tutors help you dive deep into your chosen subject area.
By joining our Experience Engineering Academy, you’ll get to:
- Learn key engineering concepts such as hydraulics, pneumatics and the maths behind engineering from expert tutors who’ve studied at leading universities such as Oxford and Cambridge.
- Meet a successful young engineering professional and learn their lessons of success.
- Put your creativity, technical knowledge and teamwork skills to the test in our Bridge Building Challenge – you’ll apply what you’ve learned in your classes and use your resourcefulness in this competition to design and build the best possible bridge.
- Develop skills in high demand by universities and employers, such as public speaking, critical thinking and teamwork, via our Masterclasses.
- Build your global professional network by meeting students from all over the world and joining our alumni community.
- Attend our Graduation Ceremony at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School, and get a Graduation Certificate and personalised Letter of Recommendation from your tutor.
What better way to learn about a career than to talk to someone who’s living it? Our Heroes programme invites you to meet a successful young professional who has gone on to build a career related to engineering. You’ll be able to:
- Learn more about what a day in their life looks like
- Understand more about the cutting edge aspects of the sector that they work in, and hear their top career tips
- Ask them your burning questions about their university experience and career path
Challenges are one of the most exciting parts of our programme! Halfway through our Experience Engineering Academy, you’ll be given the chance to put your skills to the test during our Bridge Building Challenge. It’s certainly not the only practical activity you’ll do on your course – the course is full of opportunities to apply your skills – but for many of our students, it’s their highlight! You’ll get to:
- Apply what you’ve learned in your classes and use your resourcefulness, engineering knowledge and creativity to design and build the best possible bridge you can.
- Put your teamwork skills to the test!
- Demonstrate your understanding of engineering principles as you apply your theoretical understanding of engineering to a practical task. Will you be on the winning team?
Hear from parents
Entrusting your child to a summer school can be a big decision.
Hear from parents about why they chose Oxford Scholastica, and how they found the experience.
If you'd like to find out more about how we'll look after your child please click below to arrange a call.
During our Experience Engineering Academy, you’ll cover a range of challenging topics across nine classroom sessions.
Class 1: Discover Aerodynamics
Explore the principles of aerodynamics, focusing on the origins of lift and drag.
Class 2: Explore Electronics
Study the application of electricity and electromagnetism in making machines work.
Class 3: Pneumatic Systems
Explore the principles of pneumatic systems.
Class 4: Thermodynamic Cycles
Explore the role of thermodynamic cycles in engines.
Class 5: The Maths Behind Engineering
Understand the maths and mathematical skills which underpin engineering.
Class 6: Build an Engine
Design and build your own engine.
Class 7: Pin-jointed Structures
Consider the design of pin-jointed structures.
Class 8: Hydraulic Systems
Explore the principles of hydraulic systems.
Your final class is based on your tutor’s personal expertise in the field, focusing on cutting-edge research that they’re passionate about.
Please note this course outline may be subject to change.
Reserve Your Spot
Ready for a life-changing educational experience? Apply in minutes and reserve a spot for Oxford's #1 rated summer school and online programmes.