Location: University of Oxford campus
Class size: Maximum 15 students
£6,995 £6,495 if booked by 31st Dec
Length: 2 weeks
Dates: 30th June-13th July, 14th-27th July, 28th July-10th August 2024
Receive: Graduation Certificate & Letter of Recommendation
Our courses combine tutorial-style teaching with practical challenges and debates. Small class sizes and expert tutors help you dive deep into your chosen subject area.
By joining our Experience Computer Science and Coding Academy, you’ll get to:
- Immerse yourself in practical, hands-on opportunities which will get you to grips with programming, web design, and the future of artificial intelligence. You’ll achieve this while getting the Oxford Scholastica experience, learning from world-class tutors and making friends with students from around the world.
- Meet a successful young coding and computer science professional and learn their lessons of success.
- Put your creativity, technical knowledge and teamwork skills to the test in our App Challenge.
- Develop skills in high demand by universities and employers, such as public speaking, critical thinking and teamwork, via our Masterclasses.
- Build your global professional network by meeting students from all over the world and joining our alumni community.
- Attend our Graduation Ceremony at Oxford University’s Saïd Business School, and get a Graduation Certificate and personalised Letter of Recommendation from your tutor.
What better way to learn about a career than to talk to someone who’s living it? Our Heroes programme invites you to meet a successful professional from the computer science and coding field and:
- Learn more about what a day in their life looks like
- Understand more about the cutting edge aspects of the sector that they work in, and hear their top career tips
- Ask them your burning questions about their university and career path
Challenges are one of the most exciting parts of our programme! Halfway through our Experience Computer Science and Coding course, you’ll take part in our fast-paced App Challenge. It’s certainly not the only practical activity you’ll do on your course – the course is full of opportunities to apply your skills – but for many of our students, it’s their highlight!
- Put all the theory you’ve learned into practice and apply your knowledge to a real life problem.
- Collaborate with the Experience Business and Enterprise students to come up with an idea for a mobile phone app – you’ll build a prototype, while they’ll conduct market research and come up with a brand and business plan.
- Pitch to our expert judging panel – will you be on the winning team?
Hear from parents
Entrusting your child to a summer school can be a big decision.
Hear from parents about why they chose Oxford Scholastica, and how they found the experience.
If you'd like to find out more about how we'll look after your child please click below to arrange a call.
On our Experience Computer Science and Coding course, you’ll cover a range of challenging topics across nine classroom sessions.
Class 1: Introduction to Computer Science
What do the ancient Babylonians, Da Vinci and Bill Gates have in common? We’ll explore the development of computing, from the abacus to mobile phone apps.
Class 2: The Basics of Python
What is python? In this class you’ll get to grips with one of the many programming languages: python. You’ll start to understand different structures of coding.
Class 4: Python as a Tool for Making Games
Class 5: Introduction to HTML
What are the building blocks of a website? You’ll discover how to use HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) to form the building blocks of a website.
Class 6: Introduction to CSS
How can you style a website? Looking at CSS (Cascading Style Sheets), we’ll explore different ways of styling a website.
Class 7: Making Websites
Put your skills into action and complete a website coding task using HTML and CSS.
Class 8: The Future of Computing
Explore the debate surrounding Artificial Intelligence and the ethical considerations of the future of technology.
Your final class is based on your tutor’s personal expertise in the field, focusing on cutting-edge research that they’re passionate about.
Please note this course outline may be subject to change.