Get the Oxford Experience Online
Drawing on the Oxford Scholastica Academy’s years of experience of running world-class summer schools, our online courses combine Oxford’s spirit of excellence with the very best in future-focused learning.
We developed our online courses to enable students from all over the world to master their subjects, gain clarity about their futures and prepare for a changing world – all while experiencing inspirational and rigorous teaching. This is your opportunity to get the Oxford experience, from anywhere.
During your course, you’ll work intensively with your tutor and a small group of like-minded students to learn about your subject, through discussion, research, group work and debates.
Students Per Class
Hours of Live Teaching
out of 10 students at Oxford Scholastica Online rated their tutor as 'Excellent'
out of 10 Oxford Scholastica Online students would recommend our online courses to their friends
out of 10 students at Oxford Scholastica Online said that their course was interesting and inspirational
Online Courses At A Glance
Oxford Scholastica Online courses are:
- Designed for curious, academically motivated students like you
- Project-based – you’ll constantly apply what you learn to real-world problems
- Developed to give you an authentic taste of university-level study and Oxford-style teaching, in very small tutor groups (usually up to a maximum of eight students in a tutor group)
- Designed to enable you to master your subject
- Tailored to effectively prepare you to submit a successful University or college application in the future
- Structured to offer you 2 hours of tuition per day, or 4 hours a day on the intensive course. You can take one of our courses alongside your schoolwork, depending on your workload and time commitments
- Suitable for all abilities – whether you have studied the subject of your course before, or are exploring it for the first time
Read more about the subjects we offer at Oxford Scholastica Online below, or download our brochure.
This summer I did other online courses, along with Oxford Scholastica Online, and I have to say, this was by far, the best and the most interesting one out of them all. This course was more engaging, interactive, and MUCH MUCH MUCH more interesting than the others!
Are you interested in learning about the world of business, or maybe hoping to run a business yourself one day? On this course, you’ll be introduced to important business concepts, learn about marketing and branding, and be challenged to take on the role of an entrepreneur to create a plan for your own business!
On this course, you’ll learn about:
- The Basics of Economics
- Marketing and Branding
- What makes a business successful?
- Persuasive Pitching and Public Speaking
On this exciting course for 12-14 year olds, you’ll learn all about the world of technology. You’ll be introduced to some of the most important concepts in Engineering, and Computer Science, and you’ll learn how to build your own website. With your tutor and classmates, you’ll explore how the practical applications of Maths and Physics work in the real world.
On this course, you’ll explore:
- Photonic Systems
- Coding in HTML and CSS
- How to build your own website!
Business & Economics
Are you interested in how businesses work, or perhaps dream of becoming an entrepreneur? Led by your expert tutor, this exciting course will enable you to discuss economic issues, get an insider’s view of running a business, and learn about key economic concepts – all while applying your skills and knowledge to tackle real-life business problems.
On this course, you’ll cover:
- Key economic concepts such as supply and demand
- Economic Theory
- Undergraduate-level business concepts, such as marketing and business strategy
- How to apply theory to case studies
Computer Science & Coding
Are you interested in learning to code? Python is widely regarded as an excellent first language to learn. It is a serious language used in industry, versatile, and relatively straightforward to learn. On this course you will develop a functional level of ability in programming in Python, supported by independent coding projects. To supplement this, you will look more deeply at some technical and practical topics in Computer Science, such as Artificial Intelligence, regular expressions, natural-language processing, complexity analysis and web development, to provide a balanced and relevant introduction to this subject.
- Programming in Python
- The History and Future of Computing
- Building a Website
If you enjoy reading, writing, and using language imaginatively to express yourself, the Creative Writing course will be a perfect fit for you this year. You will learn how to write compellingly for different audiences, and in a variety of genres. We will analyse works that have stood the test of time to understand what it is that makes them so powerful. We will also be looking at creating engaging written content for online platforms – an important and highly versatile skill to master in these times of rapid change. Now more than ever the written word has the power to create unexpected yet powerful connections, to stimulate cooperation and to carry our messages safely across the globe. Join a small and supportive group of talented, like-minded students and learn to master different styles of writing, and to develop your own unique voice throughout.
On this course, you’ll:
- Learn about different genres and styles of writing, including fiction, nonfiction, poetry, writing for screen and stage, and online content creation
- Practise building compelling fictional worlds, characters, and dialogues
- Develop your own personal writing projects, with feedback from your tutor and peers
Does exploring the world of engineering interest you? Guided by your expert tutor, you’ll explore a wealth of key introductory Engineering topics, work together to design your own models and be tasked with solving real-world technology problems with students from across the world. You’ll learn how to apply Mathematics and Physics to solve problems, and prepare to submit compelling and successful applications to your chosen universities.
You’ll also meet a software engineer and be able to ask them any questions you have about how they use engineering in their career.
Topics covered will include:
- Maths for Engineers
- Material Efficiencies and Construction
- HTML for building websites
- Build a tower from limited materials – and then build a website to advertise it!
International Relations, Politics & Debate
Is there a recipe for successful government, and what are the traits that unite and distinguish good and bad leaders from the present and the past? What does it take to negotiate the greatest challenges facing our world – from COVID-19 to poverty, recession, and climate change? What role do governments, international organisations, and activists play in this regard? You will debate key issues, such as when states are allowed to start a war and what you, your country, and the global community can do to prevent and respond to catastrophes. You’ll develop your debating and public speaking skills, and you’ll discuss:
- International Law and Organisations, such as the UN, NATO and the WHO
- Political Theory
- Diplomacy and Crisis Management
- Revolutions and Political Change
Does Law interest you, or do you dream of one day applying to Law School? In dynamic classes, your experienced and inspiring tutor will work with you to explore key legal ideas and develop your debating skills. You’ll use your knowledge, public speaking and problem-solving skills to tackle real-world legal projects.
You’ll also learn about mooting, and meet and chat to a barrister to find out about what life as a barrister is like. Finally, you’ll prepare to submit compelling and successful applications to the universities of your choice.
This course will cover:
- Philosophy and History of the Law
- Types of Law: Criminal, Public and Corporate Law
- Human Rights Law
- A Mock Trial
If you’re planning to study a Maths-heavy subject at university, or if you just like the beauty of a mathematical theorem, the online Maths course will challenge you to improve your skills and learn beyond your school curriculum. Mathematics at university level is extremely varied, ranging from the very abstract, such as complex analysis, to the very tangible, such as fluid mechanics. Underpinning much of this is a clear understanding of how infinity works in different contexts. On this course, you will explore the concept of infinity from many perspectives, including real analysis, set theory, gravity and statistics. You’ll also work in teams to solve a mathematical code-breaking challenge!
On this course, you’ll:
- Explore advanced Calculus and Algebra
- Apply Probability and Statistics to real-world problems
- Discuss Economic Models
- Get to grips with infinity!
Are you keen to prepare for life as a medical student? Working both individually and in small groups, you’ll learn about both the practical and theoretical aspects of Medicine from your exceptional tutor. You’ll be introduced to the most important systems of the body, you’ll design your own research projects, and you’ll be challenged to use all you’ve learnt to solve medical scenarios faced by doctors and researchers.
Finally, you’ll get to meet a real psychiatric patient, take their medical history and attempt to diagnose their symptoms. This is a unique experience which you’ll be able to include on future medical school applications, which will help you stand out as a compelling candidate.
On this course, you’ll cover:
- Systems of the Body, including the Cardiovascular and Respiratory Systems
- The Brain and the Mind
- A personal Research Project, which you’ll present to your peers
Psychology & Neuroscience
Are you fascinated by the human mind, behaviour and relationships? The Psychology & Neuroscience online course will introduce you to key concepts, such as attachment theory, love, language and personality. What makes a person who they are? What makes them creative, or selfish, or intelligent? You’ll also design and carry out a research experiment, and write up your findings into a research paper.
On this course, you’ll cover:
- Love and Attachment
- Memory and Intelligence
- Language and Thought
- Imaging the Brain
- A personal Research Project, which you’ll present to your peers
Please note that course content is subject to change. Tutors will aim where possible to take students’ particular areas of interest into account.
What will I learn?
- You’ll develop mastery of your subject in lectures delivered by experts in your chosen field
- You’ll sharpen your critical thinking in daily Oxford-style tutorials in small classes, delivered by tutors from world-leading institutions
- You’ll develop skills critical to your future success – from resilience to submitting a successful university or college application
- You’ll develop techniques essential for you now and in the future, such as research, analysis and creative thinking
- You’ll learn how to work effectively in a team through project-based challenges
What will I gain?
- A Certificate of Achievement – an excellent example of your proven interest in a subject when it comes to university and college applications
- A Letter of Recommendation (for students who meet our criteria) – an invaluable asset for your future course, internship or work experience applications
- Skills crucial for future success, such as critical thinking, teamwork and public speaking
- Key insights into university/college application processes at leading institutions to inform your own application
- Greater confidence and motivation for the future
- An international community of like-minded friends and peers
What will I do?
- Enjoy a challenging and engaging selection of lectures and tutorials
- Be inspired and motivated by our suite of Masterclasses
- Make friends with students from all over the world
- Experience authentic university-style learning
- Put your problem solving skills to the test through our group and individual challenges as you tackle some of the biggest challenges the world faces
As society rapidly changes, so does the way that students access and receive their education. You may have experienced this in your own school.
We recognise the enormous potential digital connection offers students from a learning perspective. As we started to explore launching our online courses, we wanted to hear how students like you felt they could benefit from online education.
They told us that online learning experiences gave them greater flexibility, improved their digital literacy, and still enabled them to gain in-person benefits like building friendships with young people from across the globe.
With these insights in mind, we developed our online courses to enable you to:
- Access the very best of the Oxford learning experience in a way that is most convenient for you
- Develop your digital expertise
- Have greater control over your own learning – irrespective of time or location
- Benefit from the very best in personalised teaching – you’ll receive highly specialised tuition in small ‘Oxford tutorial’-style classes from expert tutors
- Extract maximum value from your learning experience – our courses enable you to learn from, and be coached by, world-class tutors, a privilege normally reserved for students at elite institutions
We also understand that online learning can come with a variety of different concerns for students and parents alike as you adjust to new ways of working. We support you through this process by ensuring that we offer a learning experience which is fun, engaging and easy to use.
If I were applying to university all over again a course like this would be a great way to learn new skills that I could develop for my application, as well as being something relevant to my subject which I could talk about in an interview.
The course gives students the chance to talk one-on-one with tutors which is great preparation for university, as you become much more confident in your own opinions and how to express your ideas to someone else.
See the latest dates available below, and please see our Booking Form for the latest course availability.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will I get a certificate at the end of an Oxford Scholastica Online course?
Yes, upon successful completion of the course you will receive a Certificate of Achievement. For those students who really impress us and meet our requirements, we are also able to provide a Letter of Recommendation, which you can use for future course, job or internship applications.
Do I need any special equipment in order to attend Oxford Scholastica Online?
You don’t need any special equipment in order to attend our virtual summer school. All you need is a computer with a stable Internet connection and a webcam. Ideally you would be able to sit in a quiet room where you won’t be disturbed for your tutorials and lectures.
What time will the lectures and tutorials take place?
You will be in a small class with students from around the world, some of whom may be in different time zones. We always seek to organise our online lectures and tutorials at a time that is suitable for everyone in your class. Exact timings for your course will be confirmed with you closer to the start date.
Who will my tutor be?
We dedicate an enormous amount of time to carefully selecting and training the very best tutors for each course. Our tutors are subject experts from world-class institutions, including Oxford and Cambridge. We will send you an introduction to your tutor before you begin your course.
Is the course content the same as on an Oxford Scholastica summer school in Oxford?
Our virtual summer school courses are all project-based, meaning you’ll constantly apply what you learn to real-world problems. While these courses have been designed in accordance with our learning philosophy of Learn, See, Do, just like our Oxford Summer School, the content is different, with a greater focus on problem-solving. The two weeks culminate in a final project which is judged by a panel of industry experts.
What is the difference between a one-week and two-week course?
We offer our online courses in a one-week intensive format during UK school holidays. In the summer holidays, our online courses take a two-week format. You will cover the same material in a one-week intensive course as in a two-week standard course.
What if I don't see the subject that I want to study?
If there’s a particular subject that you want to study at Oxford Scholastica Online, get in touch to let us know about it!
Latest Blog Articles
We’re passionate about helping our students and alumni to discover, experience and prepare for their futures. You can find some of our latest articles below:
Medical students are often confident in stating their desire to 'become a doctor'. But what about the specific types of medical practice that are open to you? By no means do you need to have your whole medical career path mapped out at the beginning of medical school....
LinkedIn is an amazing resource for students and graduates as much as it is for working professionals. But few people actually know how to use LinkedIn effectively to harness its full potential. This guide will help you make the most of your LinkedIn profile, whether...
Today’s young people face unprecedented mental health challenges. Never has it been more important that we understand both why this is happening, and how to support young people to develop strategies which can shore up their mental wellbeing. Teens face increasing...