Oxford’s Westgate Shopping Centre is planning a £400m makeover that will give the historic town a shopping centre fit for the 21st century.
If there weren’t already a 101 reasons to visit Oxford, this glitzy shopping centre will draw in even more tourists to the area.
Here at the Oxford Scholastica Academy, we have chosen our top five most amazing shopping centres in the world:
- The Dubai Mall – the largest in the world at 12 million square feet, 1,200 shops, an aquarium, 22 cinema screens and an ice rink. See a video of the mall’s own stunning water show:
- The Grand Canal Shoppes – despite Las Vegas being 6000 miles from Venice, you will be transported by gondolas between shops on indoor canals that recreate mini Venice in a mall.
- Mall of America, Minnesota – more than 5,000 couples have been married in the chapel here and could use the mall’s own theme park for their honeymoon.
- West Edmonton Mall, Canada – come here if you want the largest indoor water park with the world’s biggest wave pool.
- Mall of the Emirates – Dubai makes its second appearance on our list. Even though it may be boiling outside, there is an indoor ski resort that’s covered with real snow all year round.
Photo by Hoo Leng Siong (CC BY 2.0)