We have put together this page to answer any questions parents and students might have about attending the Oxford Scholastica Academy on our 2021 Oxford summer school during COVID-19.
The Oxford Scholastica Academy was one of the only UK summer schools to welcome students to attend in 2020. We have received “Good to Go” accreditation (Visit England’s industry standard), confirming that we adhere to government and industry COVID-19 guidelines to keep students safe and well.
We are happy to say that our 2020 summer programme was successful and COVID-secure, with no students, staff or tutors getting COVID-19. You can see some photos below of the experience.
Having gained the experience of running our courses during COVID-19 in 2020, and with the rollout of the vaccine starting, we are looking forward to running our 2021 programme with optimism.
This page contains the latest information, including:
- The fact that Oxford Scholastica is open for bookings
- The flexibility we offer on cancellations or changes
- Information about Oxford Scholastica Online, our virtual summer school option
One of the reasons students choose to come to Oxford is that the city is famous for its academia and research. Oxford is a centre for medical research, led by pioneering medical companies and university researchers. For example, Oxford played a vital role in the development of penicillin in the 1940s. We are proud Oxford has been at the centre of COVID-19 research, with researchers successfully developing a vaccine.
Many students who attend the Oxford Scholastica Academy are inspired to work in fields of research to help push our understanding of medicine, science and innovation further. It’s through this work that countries and citizens are better protected against illness than ever before.
Is the Oxford Scholastica Academy open?
Yes – we are receiving bookings for summer 2021 and are looking forward to welcoming students. Many students have already secured their places, and some of our courses are getting close to being booked up.
Can I take an online course instead?
Yes, you can – we run a virtual summer school, Oxford Scholastica Online, which you can read more about here.
How well prepared is Oxford Scholastica?
Our students’ welfare is incredibly important to us, and our policies and procedures have been accredited by the British Accreditation Council, so when you book with us you can feel confident your child will have the highest level of care and support. Our students have access to medical care and support through our experienced Matrons, and the UK’s health system, including the National Health Service, is world-famous.
In addition to this, we have been accredited as “Good to Go”, Visit England’s Industry Standard, confirming Oxford Scholastica Academy conforms fully to government and industry COVID-19 guidelines, ensuring processes are in place to maintain cleanliness, aid social/physical distancing and comply with self-isolation requirements.
We were one of the only UK summer schools to run in summer 2020, and so our staff team have significant experience managing a summer school environment in a COVID-safe way.
What COVID-secure measures do you have in place?
Having successfully run our summer 2020 programme, we have experience of running a COVID-safe environment. In order to keep students safe, in 2020 our measures included (but weren’t limited to):
- Single, en-suite bedrooms for all students in Oxford University bedrooms
- Small class sizes
- Free PPE (personal protective equipment) for students, including masks, antibacterial wipes and hand sanitisers in each room
- Student temperature testing on arrival
- Campus cleaning by trained Oxford University cleaners prior to arrival
- Regular cleaning
- Social distancing and mask wearing enforced by trained staff
- Ventillation of classroom spaces
Can I change or cancel my booking?
Yes – for bookings made after 1st September 2020 we offer:
- Free cancellations up until 1st April 2021
- Free deferrals to future years until 1st May 2021 (if you would like to move your booking to summer 2022, you are welcome to do this if you let us know before 1st May 2021, and you will still benefit from the 2021 fees – rather than have to pay the 2022 fees)
- Free postponements to another date in 2021 until 1st June 2021 (for example, if you are booked on our 4th July 2021 session you are welcome to change this to the 1st August 2021 session. You are also welcome to change course – so, for example, you could change from Engineering to Computer Science). This depends on availability but we will always do our best to help
There will be no charge to cancel, move or change your booking.