The UK is home to many renowned markets including Borough Market (of Harry Potter fame), Brick Lane Market (junk and gems from Asia) and Covent Garden (be amazed by street entertainers as you shop). Prices are often negotiable. Here are the Oxford Scholastica Academy’s tips on how to get the best deals at markets:
- The early bird catches the worm – get to the market early to scout for good items. Better items can sometimes get snapped up early.
- Ignore bad weather – despite the UK being prone to the odd shower storm, the worse the weather, the easier it will be for you to navigate the market without crowds.
- Be prepared to haggle – rarely accept the first price and see if you can knock the price down a little.
- Price compare – make sure that you’ve looked around at the other market stalls and know what the pricing is like in the locality.
- Smile! – market traders are more likely to give you a good deal if you show them some teeth (or “pearly whites” as they say in East London!).